september 30

09-30-15 "animal prints"
09-30-15 “animal prints”

5×8″ acrylic, ink on sketchbook page

I started with a blockprint using acrylic in the center, then drew similar lines with a blue ink marker above and below that. I added vertical lines with another ink marker, then filled in the lines with two colors of acrylic paint. The final pass was a watered down transparent glaze of magenta over the blockprint/drawn shapes in the middle. And that finishes the month of September—and the third quarter of the daily janes!

september 29

09-29-15 "alien ship"
09-29-15 “alien ship”

scanned film photograph

Unfortunately, my film-camera night sky photography experiment did not yield very good results (at least not yet—some of my film wasn’t scanned by mistake so I have to take it back to the store). On the positive side, this photo, while not focusing very well on the moon, caught a fleeting peek at the UFO on the left. 😉 Other time-consuming tasks today make this film capture of the alien ship with the moon my daily jane for today. I’ll try to do better tomorrow.

september 28

09-28-15 "super moon monday"
09-28-15 “super moon monday”

digital photo

I had a hard time deciding between this image of the super moon post-eclipse this morning, or a photo from last night during the full eclipse with rust moon and part of our house. I love the color and the form of the house in the one from last night, but the moon is definitely blurrier and the night sky is lit from a nearby streetlight. So, I opted for this morning’s better moon.

I hope you were able to experience this beautiful phenomenon live and in-person. I plan to post more photos on my artwork facebook page, including the one I describe above.

I also took some photos of the moon last night on my old film SLR camera. I’m not sure they were focused well or whether they’ll turn out at all, and I won’t find out until the film is developed and printed! Remember when we always had to wait to see our photographs?

september 27

09-27-15 "with the fishies"
09-27-15 “with the fishies”

5×8″ acrylic, blockprinting

This began with some blockprinting (with acrylic) to finish off paint I had already printed with on another piece. I pressed a scraping tool that had some leftover paint onto the piece, then scraped that paint a little (creating pseudo-fishy forms—surprise!). I diluted some brilliant blue with acrylic glazing liquid and water and went over the whole piece. I added some additional blockprints of the green vegetation. Then went over certain areas with more diluted brilliant blue.

It’s so funny to me when a form appears that takes on a life of its own and becomes something that wasn’t at all in my mind when I started.

september 26

09-26-15 "no name"
09-26-15 “no name”

9.5×6.5″ acrylic on matboard

I repurposed an older scraped painting with a few new scrapes, trying to salvage it. I’m not entirely convinced that it’s salvaged or given a higher purpose. Yet. But it’s today’s daily.

Perhaps I give in to the daily posting pressure too often, settling for something less than I would like. But…I’m trying to accept the failures as well as the successes, and to show some of both. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

september 24

09-24-15 "national fabric"
09-24-15 “national fabric” —SOLD—

14×14″ (framed) mixed media: currency strips, ribbon, thread

This is also not really a “daily,” but it is part of the daily art-making I’ve been engaged in over the months. I posted an extreme close-up of the weaving earlier this year as a daily jane. This is what the full piece looks like now. I framed it up yesterday and in a couple of weeks it will be displayed in the Heritage Gallery’s Greater Des Moines Exhibited show downtown (2nd & Walnut, Polk County building). [post-publication note: this won an honorable mention at the Clay Fiber national show at the Octagon Center for the Arts in Ames in 2016!]

september 23

09-23-15 "currents"
09-23-15 “currents”

12×16″ mixed media: acrylic, screen, yarn, thread on canvas

This is not technically a “daily”—it’s been in the works for years in one form or another. But I added some paint today that I hope finishes it. Yet to be determined, of course.

This began its life (as far as I can remember it) as a sort of study for a larger painting. I was experimenting with using screen material for texture but also as a “loom” structure for weaving, so this has a little bit of everything.

After the experimenting was done, it went through a couple of different iterations (at least), until more recently I focused on and smoothed out (somewhat) the blues and purples and turquoises and arrived here.

september 22

09-22-15 "crawling around"
09-22-15 “crawling around”

5×8″ acrylic on sketchbook page

Oh my. Some days I just don’t have time to fix all that needs fixing. The addition of the white stripes in the purple help, but I just don’t feel this is quite done. But on the blog page it must go. On the plus side, I feel a lot better about this than I did earlier today!

september 21

09-21-15 "spiral space"
09-21-15 “spiral space”

5×8″ acrylic, collage on sketchbook page

This began with a cool magazine image that I collaged onto the sketchbook page. I used a fine marker to extend the spiral out onto the page (although those marks are mostly obscured now), then went over that with three different colors of acrylic paint: transparent raw sienna, acra blue violet, and little splashes of cadmium deep red hue. I really like these three colors together, so they may have a reunion someday soon.